Could There Ever Be a Gears of War FPS?
“I’m a big believer in ‘never say never.’ It’s all about what’s interesting in the industry at the time and where fans want us to take it. We don’t want to say never but it’s not on the top of my mind either. We look at what makes sense and move in that direction.”
-Rod Fergusson, executive producer at Epic Games, in an interview with OXM.
While next year’s Gears of War: Judgement, under the guiding hand of People Can Fly, certainly cuts its own swath with its focus on real time action and adaptive enemy AI over scripted thrills, the game doesn’t stray far from Epic’s third-person formula. But if you want it and if you’re vocal about it, the collective fanbase could order up a very different kind of Gears experience.
We’re all well aware that there’s no shortage of first-person shooters on the market. Here’s a hard number: if you take every FPS off store shelves, there’d be a total of twelve games to choose from and half empty pack of Tic-Tacs (Hey, hey! Stay away from Google. How dare you fact check my lies?), but I’m all for expansion in a franchise. Risk breeds innovation; innovation in gaming often begets fun. Switching perspectives in Gears isn’t too wildly off base, yet the change to game mechanics needed would probably agitate the ever loving shit out of series diehards grown accustomed to the cover hopping, blind-firing action of the original trilogy.
So, the question stands: anybody out there interested in seeing a first-person Gears of War?
- tenacious-sniper-bait likes this
- timothywilliamsnyder answered: Hell no! Personally, I’m tired of FPS’s. The market is so incredibly over-saturated and I’d like for Gears to continue to be unique.
- mindfreak550 reblogged this from theredherb
- mindfreak550 likes this
- skull-shivers likes this
- mzsunshyne reblogged this from damonsbaird
- damonsbaird reblogged this from theredherb
- clarence-walnut answered: I don’t know, I always thought the third person view was one of the things that makes Gears what it is. I suppose I’d be open to new ideas.
- heavenlyhero answered: I’m a diehard Gears fan and I’d like to see it. But I wouldn’t want anything taken that makes Gears what it is
- psymgnt reblogged this from theredherb and added:
- theredherb posted this